Friday, May 15, 2009

MY HOOKING WEEK!
The week before Mothers Day was a hooking week for me. When I posted last it was all about Mother's Day - this posting is all about hooking. My friend Traci did not get to take my sculpting workshop altho she really wanted to sculpt the strawberry piece. So she and I had a private lesson one day last week. Here she is hard at work and you can see from this picture what a great job she is doing on her strawberry. We will meet again next week and work on the leaves. Brenda, who lives in York, Pa. works and cannot take lessons on a regular basis comes to my workshops. During one of those she fell in love with this blue color. I have always called it something like #47-1a but think that I will change it's name to "Brenda Blue." I dyed some for her last Saturday and thought you might like to see how it looked as it came out of the dye pot.

Judith took my stitches class and was so enthuastic that she went home and promptly finished her piece. Judith is also a quilter and expert sewer. She mounted her piece as a pillow and it is really cute.

She showed this at the Gettysburg hook-in last week. I also attended that hook-in. The turn out was terrific. Lots of hookers working on many different pieces. Marion S. is working on the most beautiful piece done on rust colored wool. Very unusual! I did not take lots of rug pictures but did get this picture of Nancy and Joan talking and working on their pieces. Joan is working on an oriental and doing it in pastel colors. Very interesting rug.

I am in between projects at the moment. Pat at the Grant Street Woolery is putting some pieces on linen for me but they are not ready yet. I didn't want to get into a big project while I waited - soooooo I pulled out my "leftovers" rug and have been working on that. I am using only things left over from rugs I have finished - broken swatches and small pieces that are not enought to really use for anything of any size. I thought you might like to see what I am doing. There is no rhymn or reason to where the colors go - just dark one direction and light in the other.

This rug is 3 x 5 printed on burlap and designed by P. K. McGown and is called "Postcard." The price tag was still on the rug $9.00 can you believe it? Imagine what it would cost today.
I finally have finished all of the medical tests that I have been taking for the past 2 month and most results were positive. I am feeling very upbeat about the future.
I hope that all of you have a wonderful hooking week and that it stops raining!
My quote for this blog follows:
All you need is love - but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Charles Schultz





1 comment:

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Hey Doris,
Hope you post more of Traci's sculpting as it progresses. It looks really good. Your postcard rug looks like it doesn't take much thought. Nice way to finish up a piece. Hope to see it in person.
Glad you are feeling better. See you soon in Chambersburg? I'll do my best to remember that pattern for you too!