Wednesday, September 5, 2012

IT'S TIME . . . . .

TO START HOOKING CLASSES

It seems to me that I have spent
a good portion of the summer getting ready
to teach this fall.

The hooking and wool room has been
re-organized and cleaned.  I have been going
thru many reference books looking
for interesting things to share with my
students.
I found this poem that I want to
share with you.

DAD'S OLD BREECHES

When dad has worn his trousers out
They pass to brother John.
Then mother trims them round about
and William put them on.

When William's legs to long have grown
The trouser's fail to hide 'em'
So Walter claims them for his own,
and stows himself inside 'em.

Next Sam's fat legs they close invest,
And they won't stretch tighter.
They're turned and shortened, washed and pressed,
And fixed on me . . .  the writer.

Ma works them into rugs and caps,
When I have burst the stitches.
At doomsday we shall see (perhaps).
The last of Dad's old breeches.
Anon.

Hope all of you are ready for the fall season with it's glorious colors and delightful weather.

Keep those hooks moving!
Doris



3 comments:

Cathy G. said...

Hi Doris,
Isn't that a great poem.... makes me appreciate all the new off the bolt wool I have even more!!!
I know your classes will be fun and interesting! Wish I could be there to glean what you have in store!
Hope you and Eloise have a beautiful inspiring Autumn Season!!
Hugs!
Cathy G

Julia said...

Good morning Doris. I love the poem and I remember in my childhood that my mother would pass on clothing to the next one and old wool coats were dismantled and turned inside out to make brand new coats for the girls but unfortunately my mom didn't hooked rugs but she made mittens of the pieces that were left.

Have fun with your fall classes.
Hugs fort you and Eloise.

JB

Rugs and Pugs said...

Doris ~
What a sweet poem! Thanks for sharing.
Sure wish I was close enough to take a class from you. I could learn SO MUCH!!!
Hugs to you and Els :)
Lauren