Monday, September 3, 2012

IT'S OVER


SUMMER

Where did it go?
I think it sped by when I wasn't looking

There are some wonderful and some not so wonderful 
things about living in Maryland.
The wonderful thing is what happens here
in the summer time.

 Vine ripe tomatoes.  Sweet as sugar.
Then there are the ones we pick before they are
ripe.  Those tasty green tomatoes.
Breaded and fried in bacon grease.
some smoother them in cream gravy,
not me!  Just bring on the tomatoes.
The next to arrive on the scene is our
juicy white and yellow corn.
No sugar added to these ears - they are
already sweet as sugar and
deep enough to really sink your teeth in.

 Then around Memorial Day the piece that 
no one can resist!  Those beautiful blue crabs come
onto the scene.
What great treasures the Chesapeake Bay
offers to us!!

What does one do on a rainy Sunday
in the summer?  They go to Gilligan's
on Pope Creek in Southern Maryland, of course.
 It was raining cats and dogs several Sunday's
ago when our whole family went for a crab
feast.
 This has become the family's choice
of a place to celebrate any occasion that summer
brings to us.
We were celebrating granddaughter Vicki's
and husband Curtis' anniversary.
 Here are some things you should know about Gilligan's.
It is approximately a 2 hour drive around the Washington Beltway and down Route 5 into Southern Maryland.
In addition to crabs, they have the best spiced shrimp that
I have ever eaten.
The drive is very scenic and it is an
"all you can eat" menu.
These handsome crabs came home with me.
My hands are still sore from picking them.
However it sure was worth it.  I made 14 Crab cakes
and have them stashed in the freezer.
Ah, Blue crab in the winter.

The say children do not come with an
instruction manual.  However, it is my belief
that every child born in Maryland  comes with
instructions on how to pick crabs and a
road map to Gilligans.

Hope every one has had as great a summer as I have had.
I'm sure Eloise will be reporting on her summer
as soon as the computer is free.

Quote of the day:
Beautiful young people are an accident of nature, Beautiful old people are a work of art.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Until next time, take care.
Doris

4 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Doris ~
So good to hear from you and hope to hear from Els soon :)
Crab. YUM!!! One of my favorites. Glad you had a nice family get together.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Julia said...

Oh Doris, my mouth is salivating right now. I love crab but I haven't had any in so long. How fortunate you are to have it so often. I can't remember when I had some but it was the long legs only and I think that it was snow crab.
I'm so glad that you had a great summer and yes, it just zipped by so fast but I won't miss the heat and humidity but all in all I can't complain.

Good for you to celebrate at every occasion that you can. Happy Labor Day weekend.

Take care, you and Eloise.
Hugs.
JB

Kim said...

Hi Doris,
Yes the summer did fly by at record speed. But I am looking forward to some cooler weather. I'll make a note if I ever get to Maryland I'll pick you up and we will go to that restaurant - it looks wonderful.
Looking forward to hearing about Eloise's summer :)

moosecraft said...

Ahhh! I'll be right over! Oh YUM! We've been enjoying tomatoes and corn here in NJ too... but those CRABS!!! Wow! Have to take a road trip next year....