Wednesday, July 18, 2012

OFF THE HOOK

Yes. these pieces are "off the hook."
Hooking is finished, they are bound
and labeled.



This first rug was hooked by
Lorie S.  Lorie is very proud of her
rug, as she should be.
Prior to hooking this rug her hooking
experience had just involved two small pieces.
This piece was designed by
Becky Mummert.
Becky also does beautiful Redware Pottery.

 This picture shows the beautiful background.
 Lorie used 5 or 6 different shades
of blue and green in her background.
 Since this piece was done with a number 6
cut we thought it best to make the
face as simple as possible.
It turned out to be very effective.
A job well done by a 
learning hooker. 

 This is a small piece done by Margie.
Margie is new to hooking - this is her first
piece.  She bought this in kit form
and started it with very little instruction.
I am very proud of the job she did on
this piece.  The backing in the kit
was a material I had never seen before and
hope to never see again!
It was so tightly woven that you could not see any holes - 
it was a "guess and begolly" as where the
hook should be places.  To complicate
matters the wool was cut with a #6  blade.
All in all, a job well cone.

UPDATE

 Progress continues on my project.  This
pattern is Blue Basket, designed by
Edyth O'Neil.
The colors seem washed out in
these pictures and I don't know why.


This is the left hand side of the rug.
I am just starting to introduce a
variety of dull reds in the flowers,
coupled with some brown/golds.

Well folks, that's it for this update,
Next blog I will tell you about the "Dyeing Bug"
that has bitten me!

Quote of the day -

the only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
Eleanor Roosevelt

Doris and Eloise

6 comments:

moosecraft said...

These are great rugs! Love the background on the goat rug and those little sheep are too dang cute! Your blue basket rug is gorgeous! Great color choices!

Cathy G. said...

Margie and Lorie should be very proud of their rugs! Wonderful hooking on both! That happened to one of my students who ordered a kit online ( before she met me) and had the same type of backing..... no holes to speak off..... wonder if it was from the same business?
Your rug is wonderful as well Doris...... expert hooking and color!
Can't wait to hear about your Dyeing Bug!!!
Hugs!
Cathy G

Kim said...

Great rugs Doris. I do love the background on the goat. So interesting with the blues and greens.
I hope you and Eloise are doing well. Miss Millie says hi too

Julia said...

It's me again.

It must make you feel great to have students do such lovely work, even the beginners. I love flowers and I hope that someday in the future I'll make a lovely floral rug like yours. I bought a new book called Rugs in Bloom by Jane Halliwell Green recently. She has some great instructions on how to hook flowers.

I hope that you and Eloise are staying nice and cool in this summer heat.

Hugs, JB

Rugs and Pugs said...

Doris & Els ~
I hope you have been staying cool in this weather we have been experiencing!
Those are some great rugs from beginner hookers. My early pieces don't look that good (but I didn't have a wonderful teacher to guide me, either!).
Your rug is fabulous ~ as always. Keep up posted on your progress.
Hugs :)
Lauren (& Annie)

Unknown said...

I love his face! I just happened to stumble across your site and will return again!