Monday, March 28, 2011

SOME THOUGHTS AND A WORKSHOP -
About 5 weeks ago I began to have trouble breathing. It was not to bad, I just thought that it was the cold weather. I had no pain. So, being the stubborn person that I am, I just went on my merry way, moving a bit slower. Several weeks later, when one begins to sufficate, seems it's time to go to the dorctor! In all honesty, I had no idea how sick I was. I had no knowledge that bronchittis/pneumonia could make you so ill. It was only when the doctor told me he would give me three days in which to get better or I would be hospitalized that I understood that I was in trouble. I was not going to leave Eloise, so I had better get on the ball, take my medicine, and behave myself. That's just what I did and I am glad to report that I am much better. This seems to be an up and down thing. My lungs are much better and I have days when everything is great. Then the next day I don't have enough energy to get out of my own way. I did not know that anything like this could make you so tired. I have been able to do a few things but my schedule is very curtailed.


My Saturday class sent me these lovely plants.

The minature daffadils and narcissis are just

delightful. I am planning to save the bulbs

and plant them in my round garden.


*****************************************

Several months ago I scheduled a "Stitches" workshop for last Saturday and since I was feeling much better, and the workshop was sold out, I decided to go ahead and teach it.

There was 8 in the class. In the past I have only enrolled

6 when the workshop was in my home, thinking that

I could not accommodate more than that. However, when I

offered registration I immediately had

8 and thought I would give it a try.


It worked! We had a great time and there was certainly enough room..You can see from the messy table that everyone could put their "stuff" on the table.
We managed to get all 7 seven stitches on the

pattern by 2:30. This is what Elinor accomplished.

She is a very neat and tidy hooker and her work

reflects the care she takes.

This is Syd's piece. She is a relatively new hooker.

Her technique is totally different from Elinors.

Look how much bigger her apples are.

I think this is Darleen's piece but I am not sure.

Sorry I didn't get pic's of all 8 pieces but I am sure

you can get the idea from these few.


This is what the finished product should look

like. It incorporates 7 different stitches as well as

the usual type of hookiing for sky and grass.

*********************************


I taught this class several times last year and have seen a number of these finished. Several were made into pillows and were very effective. I was very proud of this workshop since all 8 members got all of the stitches and accomplished a lot. No only that, but we had a lot of fun. What a great group to teach - lots of repartee among them - a good time was had by all.

*****************************


I am very proud of my students. I have been accummulating pictures of their work and will post a group of those shortly. Ellen has returned from Texas and will be joining us next week as we continue learning together and enjoying each others company.

*******************************

I keep hoping that Mother Nature will make up her mind what season this is. I am sure we will all be better if the sun shines and warms us all up. In the meantime, I am going to continue with a curtailed schedule, but keep teaching, and attendiing only 1 or 2 hook-in's a month. I also need time to develop several more workshop's that I have been asked to present. Never enough time, always something to think about, boredom is something I know not about.


********************************

There comes a time in every girl/woman's life when she has to do something practical. I hear the washing machine and the vacuum cleaner calling - so until next time - keep the faith!

Doris




8 comments:

moosecraft said...

Oh Doris! So glad you went to the doctors and got some meds! Isn't it something how we all think ourselves invincible? Take it day by day until you are back to 100%! Cute mat for teaching all those stitches! :-)

Joanne said...

Doris - so happy you are feeling better. Sometimes rest and time is the only thing that will kick it. Hmmm vacuum and washing calling? I must have selective hearing (like my husband) and can't hear it!

Kim said...

Doris, you silly girl - you should have gone to see a doctor as soon as symptoms appeared. Thankfully you are feeling better now. You remind me of Auntie...we have more fights about me trying to get her to go to the hospital when she is sick. Stubborn!
Your class looked like fun. Cute pattern and great use of different techniques.

Cathy G. said...

Hi Doris,
I'm so glad you are feeling better and taking those meds! I guess it takes the threat of ending up in the hospital for us to realize we are that sick! We're too busy to get sick right?!!
The class looks great and what a neat pattern. I can tell they are learning so many things from their wonderful teacher! Remember to rest sometime too and maybe you could get Eloise to help with a little house cleaning! LOL
Hugs to you both!
Cathy G

Anonymous said...

Doris, be very careful. just because you feel better doesnt mean you are out of the woods! Pneu. can creep back up on you and come back worse than ever. Get lots of rest!! And use your hand sanitizer when leaving every store. Your immune system is low, you dont want to catch anything that might make you really sick or allow that pneu. come back! I have had children in my daycare leave my house with little or no symptoms and be in the hospital by the next morning! Praying for you.

Julia said...

Doris, I'm so glad that you are feeling better and that you went to the doctor in time to avoid the hospital. Eloise would have missed you terribly and me too.

I once had pneumonia when I was 5 years old and nearly died so I know how serious it can get. I can't believe how active you still are at your age and from the look of your students' work, you are a top notch teacher. I'm so glad that you have them to bring you joy in their accomplishments. Please take care of yourself.

Nothing like a nice bright bouquet from your students to bring some sunshine in your day. Hugs. JB

Rugs and Pugs said...

Oh, Doris ~
I'm glad you are feeling better, but PLEASE be careful and take care of yourself. Eloise needs you and all your blog friends do to :)
Thank you for sharing your students' projects with us. I sure wish I was closer so I, too, could sign up for a class. I'm sure I would learn so much.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Tamera's Craft Palace said...

I'm glad you're feeling better!! It seems this winters bronchitis/crud has been particularly lingering!
The workshop project looks amazing.
Hope to see you at April's guild meeting!