Wednesday, February 23, 2011

ADAM AND EVE
It's finished! That is the hooking is finished. Feels to me like it took a long time to complete this piece. I think that is because I did not hook for the six weeks before Christmas. Did you ever get "hooked out?" I have only had that happen one time before and it lasted for five years! Fortunately, this spell only lasted six weeks. When I say finished, I mean the hooking only. I have started to add the kick strip but I am only half around.
******************
I do not know why my computer blog program will not double space between paragraphs but this star thing seems to work. When I first began to hook and attend workshops, camps and social hooking groups I was advised to pack lightly. Oh how right my advisor was. Some people think they have to take everything in their hooking room with them to camp. I travel light. The older I get the lighter I travel. Hence, kick strips and rug binding are only added to finished pieces as I go to social groups. It is just to much to carry a heavy frame and large rug for a days social gathering. Since I have a number of rugs in my home I am not in a hurry for Adam and Eve and can take the time to add the finishing touches.
An overal view of "Paradise"
My cross-eyed angel
I love her - she happened by accident and
I think she is to cute to change


Adam
Finally a picture in which the background
shows up. I have had a difficult time getting
this to show in pictures.
The background consists of eight
different fabrics and was a joy to hook

It was all the snakes fault!

The snaake is two different paisleys worked

together (this darn computer!)

Eve in all her glory!

I saved her for last to hook because I

wasn't sure about her arm and skin color.

I love this little Lion element.
Is it a deer, elk, or moose?
I really liked this pattern and think that

Edyth Oneil did a great job of designing.

*****************************

It is always fun to complete a rug and I am glad this one is done. I am trying to do one folk art piece a year altho I think this year there will be two. In all honesty, I am much more comfortable hooking with a #3 cut and so I am glad to be working again on my large farmyard pictorial.

*****************************

We had about 7 inches of snow yesterday and today it is very cold. It was 7 degrees at 6:30 this morning - enough to give anyone the shivers. I was supposed to go to a hooking group today but am opting to stay home. My car is buried in snow and it is just to cold to try and clean it off. Perhaps I can get some more hooking done today. Also, I must get in the dye pots. I am taking Pam Bartlett's workshop in March and need to dye for water and waves. I am planning to do painted and sponge dyeing for the waves. This should be an interesting project.

*******************************

Keep warm and safe and pray for spring.

Doris











9 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Doris ~
Love, love, LOVE your rug!!! You do such beautiful hooking no matter what size cut you use.
I may have a new pug named Peanut to share with you soon.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

weaverpat said...

Hi Doris,
Your rug looks great! And it is even more awesome in person!!!
I think it's supposed to be warmer tomorrow so maybe some of the snow will melt off your car and you won't have to go through the stress of trying to clean it off.
Winter needs to be over!

Kim said...

Doris,
I love Adam and Eve. I think my favorite part is the 2 corner angels with the different expressions. I like how you didn't give them the same face. And I like how Eve is strategically covering "the twins". LOL

Julia said...

Doris, I love your Adam and Eve rug and congratulations on finishing hooking it. I got a laugh at how Kim describes Adam covering the twin. She is so funny.

Hang in there, it almost spring. The winter can't last too much longer. JB

Tamera's Craft Palace said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the whimsical-ness of the cross-eyed angel!

newburyarts said...

*****beautiful background choices...and the snake is pure
whimsy at it's best. barb carroll would like a picture of this for her website. the animal in question is a deer...the original rug drawn by the late susan parrish from new jersey used an antique sampler as her basis. edyth o'neill also admired the work of susan parrish from a colonial homes photo spread and
and adapted this from both the original rug and the antique sampler. again, congratulations on superb craftsmanship!

Vicki said...

Beautiful and so detailed! This would be one that would for sure take me awhile....I get hooked out also...Maybe just too busy..

Julia said...

Hi Doris, I'm just checking in on you since I haven't heard from you in three weeks. I've been thinking about you.

I hope that you are well and I hope to hear from you soon. I miss your blogging.

Here we are starting to feel like spring isn't too far away and the mountains of snow is slowly going down. Hugs, JB

woollylottrugs said...

Doris....this is beautiful. This Edyth O'Neil Adam and Eve is the most beautiful patterns I've ever seen. I've looked for Adam and Eve patterns for years and this one is the best one. It's just perfect! A definate to-do rug for my list. You do a prolific job hooking it. Great!!

Cyndi