Thursday, April 9, 2009



Let me introduce you to "Mr. Tree." He lives in my front yard. He is a member of the Walnut family. He is old and somewhat shaggy but he provides some shade and every fall he gives me wonderful hulls for making a lovely brown dye that I use in many rugs.

Last fall we planted a bulb garden around his base and it has begun to bloom.


It is lovely to sit at the computer and look out of the front window and see the spring blooms. Also within sight is a young Magnolia tree just ready to burst with bloom. Aah! Spring. Ain't it grand!!!

I know that many of you think that the only thing that I am interested in is hooking rugs. It is a big part of my life - but only a part. I am interested in many things.

My "soap box" this week is breast cancer. My best friend in the community in which I live has just been diagnosed with it. It is so important to take care of yourself. Have your yearly mammogram! It doesn't hurt - it is easily arranged - and takes very little time. I would like to solicit your prayers and good thoughts for my friend Margaret as she undergoes a double mastomectomy later this month. I am going today for my yearly mammogram - how about you?

I have started a new rug - have it about half finished. I guess it is "cheating" a bit but I have used a lot of coat hanger dyeing in this piece and it goes so much quicker than the traditional shading method. I love the way the colors blend together. The color plan on this one is really out of the box for me. It is purple and orange. Sounds terrible doesn't it. Actually it is quite and interesting color plan.


Now for the quote of the day - this quote is from a 7 year old when asked what he thought love is. I hope you will not only read it but think about it. He is much astute for a seven year old!

Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen!

Happy hooking - don't forget to go to the Grant Street Woolery to hook this evening. This is the Thursday of the month that they gather at 6 and hook until about 9.

2 comments:

weaverpat said...

Hi Doris,
Thank you for the reminder about having a yearly mammogram. I usually stretch mine out to about a year and a half, but do have them done religiously. I will pray for your friend Margaret! Your new rug is just beautiful as usual. I don't think you can do anything that isn't absolutely lovely!!! I want to hear the details of Mr. Tree they next time I see you. Love the pitcure of Eloise on your previous post! She is too cute!!!

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Hey Doris, So sorry to hear about your friend. Will keep her in my prayers. I am faithful with getting my yearly exams, and think everyone else should too.
Your Mr. Tree is adorable. Love the quote from the 7 year old. How mature!